IPv6 Workshop at <em>The Cable Show 2012</em> Explores Issues and Progress
WASHINGTON, D.C. – A special technical workshop at The Cable Show 2012 will explore the progress and issues surrounding the global transition to IPv6 Internet Protocol (IP) addressing. “Internet Protocol version 6” (IPv6) accommodates for the rapid growth of the Internet and the explosion of devices used for Internet access – which all require IP addresses.
To foster understanding and collaboration around the ongoing IPv6 transition, the workshop on May 23, 2012, at 3 p.m. will include three panels taking an in-depth look at vital IPv6 issues that are affecting every cable provider and programmer, as well as any company that uses the Internet. This workshop is hosted by the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) and sponsored by Cisco.
The Cable Show 2012 is NCTA’s 61st annual convention and international exposition, which takes place May 21-23, 2012, at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.
During the workshop, the following topics will be featured:
- Internet Protocol Policies – This session will address various policy-related issues associated with the transition to IPv6, such as enabling content, services and support for IPv6 by law enforcement. Central to this session will be a discussion of Carrier Grade or Large Scale Network Address Translation (NAT) and how addressing is utilized. Panelists also will discuss the IPv6 functionality required by popular applications used to deliver Internet-based content including popular web server platforms.
- World IPv6 Launch – The World IPv6 Launch initiative is scheduled for June 6, 2012. This session will look at the expectations for this launch, along with the steps that are being taken to prepare for this effort. The session will also look back at the progress of IPv6 deployment over the past year, including the experiences gained from last June’s World IPv6 Day. The importance of World IPv6 Day in the formation of World IPv6 Launch will be highlighted, and feedback and insight from service and content providers regarding World IPv6 Launch will be shared.
- Measurements – With the deployment of any technology, measurement and benchmarking are required to assess the progress and success of adoption. Panelists will discuss the importance of measurements and benchmarking specific to IPv6 and the tools and methodologies that are actively used today.
Participants in the panels will include representatives of the following companies:
- A10 Networks
- Arbor Networks
- Comcast Cable
- DREN (Defense Research and Engineering Network)
- ISOC (The Internet Society)
- Limelight Networks Inc.
- Time Warner Cable
- Yahoo Inc.
Admission to the IPv6 Workshop is included with The Cable Show 2012 full-program registration although a separate online RSVP is required. Registration is open now at www.thecableshow.com.
Additional, up-to-the-minute information for The Cable Show 2012 is available at www.thecableshow.com, or from NCTA's Department of Industry Affairs (202-222-2430). Prime exhibition space and sponsorship opportunities are available by contacting NCTA Convention Headquarters at (202) 463-7905 or e-mail [email protected].
# # #