Director of State Government Affairs
Advise NCTA, cable companies and state cable associations on broadband, Internet and telecommunications policy matters of interest/concern to industry and/or state policymakers. Educate state policymakers on broadband, Internet and telecommunications policy matters of interest to industry.
Primary Job Duties/Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Monitor, track, conduct research and analyze state regulatory, legislative and competition issues related to broadband, Internet, telecommunications and video.
- Assist State Government Affairs team Vice Presidents by:
- analyzing and researching state legislation relevant to NCTA member company business concerns, and in some cases the interplay with federal issues;
- representing the cable industry as necessary at selected broadband and telecommunications industry forums, conferences and events;
- preparing and writing papers, talking points and presentations on state broadband, Internet, telecommunications and video policy and related issues;
- providing strategic advice to State Associations on pending broadband, Internet, telecommunications and video regulatory matters;
- working with other telecommunications and technology trade associations, coalitions and interest groups on issues of mutual concern;
- Assist professional staff in other departments by providing research, writing talking points and reports, handling member company requests and inquiries and other assistance on an as needed basis.
- Manage relationship with state legislative tracking service.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Previous regulatory, advocacy, research or analytical experience involving broadband, Internet, telecommunications or video companies, policy organizations or think tanks.
- Working knowledge of broadband, Internet, telecommunications and video industries, including current regulatory and legislative issues.
- Flexibility and willingness to tackle special projects when assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong research and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Some travel required.
Only applicants who submit a cover letter and resume will be considered.
Visual & Interactive Designer
Serve as the primary designer for an internal Digital Team that provides a wide variety of creative services for the association. This person will provide design expertise and creative solutions for both internal and external projects.
Primary Project Areas:
- Association websites
- Social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Association branding and ensuring brand consistency
- Support materials for internal departments
- Misc. advertising efforts
- Solid aesthetic sense
- A flexible skill set that is not dependent on a single design approach
- Ability to propose creative solutions and ideas
- Ability to create designs that further association branding
- Strong attention to detail for quality, consistency and branding
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Expert skills producing web-related artwork that can work across a variety of platforms and sizes
- Moderate print design knowledge (should be capable of using Adobe Creative Suite to produce reports, brochures, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Windows and OSX
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least two years professional experience in web/interactive design and some experience in print design
- Candidates must be able to provide examples of their work
NCTA’s Internship Program is designed to offer awareness and exposure to the internet and television industry. We provide both paid part-time and full-time internships during the school year and the summer months to qualified applicants in our Washington, D.C. office.
About NCTA's Internship Program
NCTA’s Internship Program provides a quality experience.
Meaningful work opportunities
Mentors who share their knowledge and expertise, and provide guidance and feedback
Team building activities, facility tours, career development workshops, and participation in Association social events
Exposure to top executives
A formal evaluation process
Be full-time secondary or post-secondary students
Be in good academic standing
Be enrolled at an accredited institution
Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
Internship Application Deadlines
Government Relations Intern
This internship position will be primarily responsible for providing assistance to the Government Relations Department and will serve as a resource for monitoring, tracking and analyzing legislative and regulatory issues that impact NCTA’s business. The position will offer unique opportunities to gain valuable work experience and knowledge of Congress and the Federal and state governments.
The Intern will be responsible for the following:
- Provide research assistance to the Government Relations team, including basic research for Congressional profiles and legislative issues related to cable
- Cover Congressional hearings, markups, and floor proceedings as assigned
- Monitor House and Senate floor debate on cable related issues
- Attend seminars and provide summaries of cable related discussions
- Accompany Government Relations staff to meetings on the hill
- Update resource files and support files
- Distribute materials
- Assist the Government Relations team with tasks as assigned
- Currently attending or graduated from an accredited college or university
- Fields of Study: Public Policy, Law, Political Management or related fields are preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of the legislative process and familiarity with telecommunications issues is desirable
- Good judgment and initiative