Internet Safety Month may be wrapping up, but cable providers continually strive to keep everyone, especially children, safe online. And with many kids at home more for the summer, it's an important time for families to brush up on internet safety skills.
The cable industry recognizes how critical it is to empower parents and to help them oversee their children's online experiences. That’s why cable ISPs offer an array of tools, resources, and services designed to assist parents in monitoring their children's online activities effectively.
Here are a few ways that cable providers are helping to create a safer digital environment for families.
Parental Control Features: Cable ISPs offer families a range of online parental controls, providing flexibility and customization based on individual needs and preferences.
- These include filtering options, time limits, supervised chats, and the ability to create multiple user profiles.
- They all encourage responsible internet usage, enable parents to manage screen time, monitor online activities, and ultimately protect against potential risks.
Educating Families: Extensive online libraries and video tutorials focus on raising awareness about the risks associated with social media usage and browsing harmful websites.
- These resources address critical issues such as cyberbullying, online predatory behavior, identity theft, and privacy concerns.
- They educate families about dangers while empowering children to navigate the online world responsibly and ethically, and safeguarding their digital footprint and online reputation.
Spreading Awareness: To amplify the impact of messaging around internet safety, cable providers collaborate with prominent national nonprofits like Common Sense Media, ConnectSafely.org, Family Online Safety Institute (FOSI), the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and numerous local organizations.
- These partnerships offer media literacy and digital ethics classes through various channels such as after-school programs, libraries, and community establishments.
- They enhance cable providers’ ability to promote safe online practices and equip individuals, particularly young users, with the necessary knowledge and skills to thrive in the digital age.
Combatting Cybersecurity Threats: Cable providers constantly invest in robust network infrastructure and security measures to protect their networks and customers from cyber threats.
- They employ firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and other security technologies to safeguard the network infrastructure.
- They also provide security software packages to customers, including antivirus, antimalware, and firewall solutions that offer real-time protection against online threats.
Through their commitment to parental controls, educational resources, and robust network security and security software, cable providers play a vital role in promoting online safety and helping families to navigate the digital landscape more confidently.