WASHINGTON, D.C. – From e-classes and e-books to open-source curricula and global universities, technology is changing what it means to go to college. The 3rd annual HigherEdTECH Summit presented by Living in Digital Times, bringing together the catalysts who are leading this change, will take place on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 from 8:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m. at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
Headlining HigherEdTECH will be two prominent voices in technology and education: morning keynote speaker Michael Powell, President and CEO of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association and former Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission; and closing keynote speaker Scott McNealy, co-founder, former chairman and president of Sun Microsystems; founder, Curriki.org, and chairman, Wayin, Inc.
Kicking off the 2012 HigherEdTECH Summit will be James L. Applegate of the Lumina Foundation, who will present "The Imperative to Redesign Higher Education."
Immediately following Mr. Applegate's remarks, Vineet Madan, McGraw-Hill Higher Education; and Mehdi Maghsoodnia, BookRenter.com, will join him on stage for a roundtable discussion moderated by Josh Fischman of The Chronicle of Higher Education.
A full day of provocative panel discussions will follow, including:
- Technology Innovation in Higher Education - Disruptive or Destructive? with Andrew Clark, Bridgepoint Education; Gunnar Counselman, Fidelis; and Pamela Quinn, Dallas County Community College District.
- High-Tech Backpack, with Andy Van Schaack, Livescribe; James Caras, Sapling Learning; and Dale Dougherty, Maker Media.
- From Dewey to Digital: Are e-Books, Tablets and Digital Content Coming of Age? with James Danky of the Future of Print Project at the Center for the History of Print and Digital Culture at University of Wisconsin - Madison; Sean Devine, CourseSmart; Matt MacInnis, Inkling; Vineet Madan from McGraw-Hill Higher Education; and Osman Rashid, Kno.
- Educators & Entrepreneurs: Next Generation Partnerships, with Jose Ferreira, Knewton; Paul Freedman, Altius Education, Inc.; Karen Symms Gallagher, The Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California; and Burck Smith, StraighterLine
- High-Tech U, with Angela Linn, YouTube Education; Brad Simon, EyeSee360, Inc.; and Scott Corcoran, Steelcase Education Solutions.
- Courting and Keeping Students in the Digital Age with Matthew Pittinsky, Parchment; Amjed Saffarini, Kaplan Test Prep; Fred Singer, Echo 360; and Troy Williams, MacMillan New Ventures.
For more information about HigherEdTECH, visit www.higheredtechsummit.com.