Washington, DC – Cable in the Classroom (CIC) today launched its fourth online learning game, Coaster Crafter: Build. Ride. Scream!, which illustrates broadband’s learning potential and teaches STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) concepts in fun and immersive ways. The game is now available for play at www.ciconline.org/CoasterCrafter.
In Coaster Crafter, important science, math, and engineering concepts are embedded in the activities of designing, building, testing, and then taking a virtual ride in your roller coaster. Coaster Crafter is aimed at middle school and older students, particularly girls. Elements of the game include:
- Build. Design challenges that explore how Newton’s laws of motion and a variety of principles like inertia, velocity, acceleration, and potential and kinetic energy affect roller coasters in an immersive, game-like environment.
- Ride. Coaster challenges apply what students learn to coaster design. Success earns players extra track segments and tools to improve their own designs.
- Scream. A free play area for students to use what they have learned, build the wildest roller coaster ride imaginable and see it brought to life as a virtual ride.
- Teacher’s guide. An extensive teacher’s guide with connections to state science and math standards and expert videos with scientists and engineers from the Johns Hopkins University and NASA.
- Inspiration. Game play, learning and enthusiasm are linked, and rewards for both success and failure motivate students to experiment more boldly, think more deeply and learn more completely.
“By engaging users in designing and testing roller coasters in a game-like environment, Coaster Crafter provides an engaging and relevant context for learning important math and science concepts,” said Frank Gallagher, Executive Director of Cable in the Classroom. “The cable industry relies in large part on STEM professionals to help design the great new products and services we offer, keep our technology reliable and running smoothly, and keep our customers satisfied. We recognize the importance of STEM skills not only for our own industry, but also for the economy.”
Cable in the Classroom (CIC) is the national education foundation of the U.S. cable industry. Working in partnership with, and on behalf of, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) and our cable industry partners, CIC advocates digital citizenship and the visionary, sensible and effective use of media in homes, schools, and communities. Since 1989, through CIC, local cable companies have been providing complimentary connections to schools, and cable programmers have offered quality educational programming. CIC enables educators to access the best of cable’s video and web content.