INCLUDING PREMIUM AND SPANISH-LANGUAGE CHANNELS
Work of Several Internationally Renowned Photographers Will Be Featured in Spot
iN DEMAND, Showtime and Starz! Encore Group will join several dozen other cable networks in simulcasting the PSA on most of their affiliated networks this Wednesday, September 11, at 8:00 p.m. EDT. HBO will feature the spot during a programming segment following the 8:00 p.m. EDT airing of the network's original documentary In Memoriam.
Numerous other cable networks recently have pledged to air the PSA on September 11, including Spanish-language channels Galavision, Telefutura Network, Univision, and The Weather Channel-Latin America, all of which will air a Spanish version of the spot. Discovery en Español and Fox Sports World en Español previously had committed to running the tribute PSA.
“Cable industry networks and system operators have been eager to join this effort,” said Jim Ewalt, Vice President, Public Affairs, NCTA. "We're very heartened by the additional participation of premium networks, which typically wouldn't run a PSA.
“The industry also should feel flattered by the interest shown in this project by more than a dozen of the world’s finest photographers who offered their work for use in the spot," Ewalt said.
The industry spot, available in both English and Spanish, is constructed around original photographs from some of the nation’s leading photographers and highlights a cross-section of positive, everyday moments in American life, emphasizing a moving and forward message of hope.
The PSA will be composed of the work of several well known professional photographers. Contributing artists include photographers from Corbis Images, TIME magazine, and Vanity Fair, as well as:
- David Burnett, recipient of many prestigious awards for photos taken in the United States and abroad;
- Andrew Eccles, the preferred photographer of celebrities such as John Travolta, Billy Bob Thornton, Brooke Shields and Jamie Lee Curtis; and
- David James, photographer for critically acclaimed and award-winning feature films such as Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Minority Report.
- Jerry Avenaim, who first entered the field as an assistant to legendary photographer Patrick Demarchelier and later photographed model and actress Cindy Crawford as his first independent assignment;
- EJ Camp, a fashion photographer-turned-portraitist, who kicked off her career as a portrait photographer when she photographed Christie Brinkley for the cover of Rolling Stone;
- Greg Gorman, a professional photographer who captures timeless images of celebrity;
- Pamela Hanson, a fashion photographer for magazines such as Marie Claire, Vogue, and Vanity Fair, who released the book Girls in September 2001;
- Annie Leibovitz, one of the world's most acclaimed portraitists;
- Nigel Parry, a portrait photographer whose work includes images of both celebrities and some of the most important political figures of our time;
- Frank Ockenfels, known for his portrait photographs of such diverse personalities as Drew Barrymore, Jerry Seinfeld, Hillary Clinton, Kurt Cobain, Tom Waits, Spike Lee, and Martin Scorcese;
- Lance Staedler, the preferred photographer of celebrities such as Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Jennifer Lopez and Jodie Foster;
- Michael Tighe, a leading celebrity still photographer, who gained his first national recognition photographing for Interview, a magazine published by Andy Warhol;
- Theo Westenberger, an award-winning photographer in the fields of art, advertising and editorial photography and a regular contributor to National Geographic Traveler; and
- Timothy White, renowned celebrity photographer whose work is showcased in the book Timothy White: Portraits.
To date, more than six dozen other cable networks have pledged to participate, including A&E Network, ABC Family, Access Television Network, All News Channel, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, BET Gospel, BET Hip Hop, BET Jazz, The Biography Channel, Bloomberg Television, Bravo, CMT: Country Music Television, CN8 (The Comcast Network), CNBC, Comcast SportsNet, Comedy Central, Court TV, Discovery Channel, Discovery Civilization Channel, Discovery Health Channel, Discovery Home & Leisure Channel, Discovery Science Channel, Discovery Wings Channel, DIY, E! Entertainment Television, FamilyNet, Fine Living, Food Network, Fox Movie Channel, Fox Sports Digital, Fox Sports Regional Networks, Fox Sports World, FX, G4, Game Show Network, Golf Channel, Goodlife TV Network, Hallmark Channel, HGTV, The History Channel, History Channel International, IFC, International Channel Networks, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, Lifetime Television, MetroChannels, muchmusic usa, National Geographic Channel, New England Sports Network, News 12 Networks, The Outdoor Channel, Outdoor Life Network, Ovation, Oxygen, QVC, SCI FI Channel, SoapNet, Speed Channel, style., TBS Superstation, TechTV, The New TNN, TLC, TNT, Toon Disney, Travel Channel, Turner South, TV Guide Channel, TV Land, USA Network, WE: Women’s Entertainment, The Weather Channel, WGN Superstation, Wisdom Television, and YES Network.
NCTA also is urging networks to air the spot at 8:00 p.m. PDT Wednesday, for viewers in the West.
The PSA has been distributed to all networks that have pledged to air it. A subsequent satellite uplink has been set for this Thursday, September 12, for cable multiple system operators (MSOs) that wish to downlink the spot and use it in local avails.
Creation of the PSA was supervised by Gerry Logue, Senior Vice President and Executive Creative Director, Lifetime Television. The spot was produced by Seiniger Advertising Group in Los Angeles. Lifetime Television, Univision, and the Walter Kaitz Foundation, an industry organization dedicated to promoting diversity within the cable industry, collaborated to translate the English-language text in the spot to Spanish.
NCTA is the principal trade association of the cable television industry in the United States. NCTA represents cable operators serving more than 90 percent of the nation's cable television households and more than 200 cable program networks, as well as equipment suppliers and providers of other services to the cable industry.