NCTA ANNOUNCES VANGUARD AWARD WINNERS
WASHINGTON, DC – Recipients of this year’s Vanguard Awards, the cable industry’s highest honors, were announced today by the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA). The awards will be presented on Wednesday, June 13 at a special ceremony and luncheon during Cable 2001 – NCTA’s 50th Annual Convention and International Exposition, in Chicago, IL.
Inaugurated in 1965, the Vanguard Awards are presented to men and women who excel in both business and in personal commitment to their colleagues, and whose accomplishments merit the recognition of the entire cable industry.
The Vanguard Awards will be presented by Joe Collins, Chairman & CEO of Time Warner Cable, and Chairman of the NCTA Board of Directors, at a reception, luncheon and awards ceremony immediately following the closing general session of Cable 2001 on June 13.
The 2001 Vanguard Award winners are:
Each year, two awards are presented - one to a man and one to a woman - whose leadership and foresight have placed the cable industry in the vanguard of new communications technologies. The individuals recognized by these awards symbolize the highest level of excellence reached by leaders of the cable industry.
- Gerald M. Levin, CEO, AOL Time Warner, Inc.
- Kim D. Kelly, COO, CFO, and Executive Vice President, Insight Communications
- Young Leadership
The growth of the cable industry is in large part due to the energy, vitality and creativity of many young people working within the industry. This award recognizes those individuals who are challenged by the potential of cable television and take the risks to make their dreams a reality.
- Sean R.H. Bratches, Sr. Vice President, Affiliate Sales & Marketing, ESPN, Inc.
- Tracy Lawrence, Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Fox Family Channels
The cable television industry is a strong competitor in the home entertainment business because of the creative contributions of programmers to the development of quality services. This award was created to recognize the innovation, leadership and individual achievement of NCTA's Programmer members.
- Jeffrey L. Bewkes, Chairman & CEO, Home Box Office
- Associates & Affiliates
This award recognizes the indispensable contributions of the cable industry's equipment manufacturers and service suppliers. The contributions of both these segments are even more important as the industry shapes the world’s expectations and use of new media.
- Norval D. Reece, Principal, Kane Reece Associates, Inc.
- Science & Technology
This award was created to honor individuals who have been active and imaginative forces in product improvement, design, and development of engineering techniques that benefit the industry.
- Michael T. Hayashi, Vice President, Advanced Engineering, Time Warner Cable
- Cable Operations Management
This award recognizes the efforts of cable's managers, who work under intense competition in today's dynamic telecommunications environment, and are key to the cable industry's success.
- Stephen B. Burke, President, Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.
- Government & Community Relations
This award recognizes that the ongoing success of the cable industry is dependent on its ability to promote a positive public image and to advocate its public policy positions at the national, state and/or local government levels.
- William K. Geppert, Vice President & General Manager, Cox Communications, Inc.
This award honors an individual who has been instrumental in the development of a unique marketing approach which significantly enhances cable's public image at the local, state or national level, and increases subscriber levels.
- Pamela Euler Halling, Sr. Vice President, Marketing & Programming, Insight Communications
- Reservations for the Vanguard Awards Luncheon are required. Please contact Michelle Ray at 202/775-3669 to purchase tickets. The event is open to the media, at no cost, but reservations are required. Media reservations must be made by May 25 by contacting Lori Chang at 202/775-3629. For additional information on the Vanguard Awards, visit the Vanguard Awards section of the NCTA Web site.
NCTA has joined in a partnership with PR Newswire to offer the media and delegates easy access to exhibitor information and contacts through online trade show press kits. Exhibitor information can be accessed at PR Newswire’s web site (www.prnewswire.com). Interested companies and organizations should call 888-776-0942 for more information.
Additional, up-to-the-minute Cable 2001 information, including convention schedule and registration materials, is available via the official web site (www.cable2001.com); from the Cable 2001 Fax on Demand Hotline (732/544-2514); or from the NCTA’s Department of Industry Affairs (202/775-3669).
# # #