CABLE 2001 TO FEATURE STARS & LEGENDS OF SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT AT CHICAGO EVENTS
OF SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT AT CHICAGO EVENTS
Washington, D.C. – Former NBA all-star Charles Barkley, three-time Tour de France champion Greg Lemond and Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek will lead a stellar list of stars and legends from the worlds of sport and entertainment making appearances at Cable 2001, the 50th Annual Convention and International Exposition, hosted by the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), June 10-13 at Chicago’s McCormick Place.
Opening each general session will be the following Chicagoland-area youth groups:
- Sunday, June 10 at 1:30 PM: Depaul Suzuki Strings: Under the direction of Vicki Vorreiter, the Depaul Suzuki Strings is a group of young violinists and cellists, aged 4-13, based at the Community Music Division at DePaul University.
- Monday, June 11 at 9:15 AM: Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps: Dedicated to promoting self-esteem and self-reliance, the Drum and Bugle Corps is a nationally known youth organization based in Rockford, IL. The Corps tours nationally and competes annually at the Drum Corps International (DCI) World Championships.
- Tuesday, June 12 at 9:15 AM: Jesse White Tumbling Team: The internationally known tumbling team is made up of kids ranging in age from six to 22. The group has performed at professional football, basketball and baseball games and performs for business and community groups across the country.
- Wednesday, June 13 at 11:45 AM: Chicago Children’s Choir: Founded in 1956, the Chicago Children’s Choir is a multiracial, multicultural choral music education organization, shaping the future by making a difference in the lives of children and youth through musical excellence. The Choir’s performance on the 13th is sponsored by Bravo and AT&T Broadband.
- Among the scores of other well-known personalities scheduled to appear during Cable 2001 are the following:
2001 Daytona 500 Winner Michael Waltrip, CNN’s Larry King, ESPN’s Jay Bilas, Lee Corso, Rich Eisen, Kirk Herbstriet and Digger Phelps, the "real" Erin Brockovich, Gene Simmons of KISS fame, Olympian Bonnie Blair, Strong Medicine star Rosa Blasi, Naomi Judd, Grammy winner Ricky Skaggs, Markie Post, and Winnie the Pooh.
An up-to-date list of all stars, celebrity spokespersons and athletes appearing at Cable 2001 will be available via fax by contacting Ted Richane at 312-791-6631. Further additions to be announced.
The Cable 2001 Exposition floor will be open Monday and Tuesday, June 11 and 12, from 11:00am – 5:00pm, and Wednesday, June 13, from 9:00am – 1:00pm (CDT).
Additional, up-to-the-minute Cable 2001 information, including convention schedule and registration materials, is available via the official web site (www.cable2001.com); from the Cable 2001 Fax on Demand Hotline (732/544-2514); or from the NCTA’s Department of Industry Affairs (202/775-3669).