At NCTA we are committed to safeguarding and preserving the privacy of our visitors.
What Information Do We Collect?
In running and maintaining our Website we may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information about your use of our site including details of your visits such as pages viewed and the resources that you access. Such information includes traffic data (such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses), location data and other communication data.
- Information provided voluntarily by you. For example, when you register for information, sign up to receive email newsletters from us, take part in online surveys, or make a purchase.
- Information that you provide when you communicate with us by any means.
- Information that you post or share in public areas, such as feedback sections or message boards, becomes public and is not covered by this Policy. Please do not post in any public area personal information that you expect to keep private.
We will not collect or use sensitive information about you unless we have your affirmative express consent. This includes pharmaceutical prescriptions, medical records, your sexual orientation or personal financial information from you.
We may gather information about your general Internet use by using a cookie. Where used, these cookies are downloaded to your computer and stored on the computer’s hard drive. Such information will not identify you personally. It is statistical data. This statistical data does not identify any personal details whatsoever.
You can adjust the settings on your computer to decline any cookies if you wish. This can easily be done by activating the reject cookies setting on your computer. For more information on cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
A web beacon is a small piece of software code on a web page or email that is programmed to collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of a given website or newsletter, e.g. whether you opened the e-mail. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including to count visitors to the Website, to monitor how users navigate the Website, to count how many e-mails from NCTA were actually opened, to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed, or to advertise NCTA events and initiatives to you on our partner websites. We do not use web beacons to deliver advertising of any third-party. To learn more about the use of this information or to opt out of our potential use of web beacons for NCTA events and initiatives, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative by clicking http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information that we collect from you to provide our services to you. In addition to this we may use the information for one or more of the following purposes:
- To communicate with you, respond to your inquiries and process any of your requests for e-mails, newsletters or other information, including verifying that your e-mail address is active and valid.
- To provide information to you relating to other products that may be of interest to you. Such additional information will only be provided where you have consented to receive such information.
- To protect or defend the rights, privacy, property, safety or security of any individual or entity, including the NCTA or third parties.
- For other reasons described in this Policy or disclosed to you at the time you provide the information.
When Do We Disclose Your Information?
- Where we are required to respond to subpoenas or other legal process or if in our good faith opinion such disclosure is required by law.
- At the request of government authorities.
- To further fraud protection and reduce the risk of fraud.
- To third parties who may be contracted to assist in the operation of the Website and/or parties providing services on our behalf. We may provide these service providers with access to information, including Personal Information, needed to carry out the services they are performing. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. They are restricted from using, selling, distributing or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to Us.
- In the event that we transfer some or all of our business to a successor.
We do not sell or disclose your information to third parties for their use in marketing and/or research.
How Do We Secure Your Data?
We will not retain information after it is no longer useful for the purposes for which it was collected. We will maintain physical, technical, and administrative security safeguards, appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, to protect any information about you that we collect or store.
Third Party Links
Note To Parents
The NCTA Website is a general audience web site. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children younger than thirteen (13) years of age (“Child“) on or through the Website. If we become aware that a Child has submitted Personal Information on or through the Website, we will immediately delete that Child’s Personal Information.
How To Contact Us
National Cable & Telecommunications Association25 Massachusetts Ave., NW - Suite 100
Washington, DC 20001
© 2013 NCTA